Nine years ago, Amy Winehouse’s wild and all-too-brief career came to an abrupt end. She was an extraordinary talent. The soul singer passed away from alcohol poisoning on July 23, 2011, and she joined the “27 Club” once more.
But long before this occurred, we witnessed her ascent to prominence and her slow decline into drugs, heartbreak, and poor choices.
Amy Winehouse: Drug and Alcohol Use Before and After
Amy Winehouse had one dream as a child: to become a singer. She was up in the Southgate neighborhood of London as the daughter of a pharmacist and a taxi driver.
Because she was only interested in music as a topic, Winehouse was bored at school and rebelled against her teachers when she was younger.
Critics remarked that Amy was a white woman with a black soul voice. She also cited the 1960s as her own source of inspiration, citing Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington, and Sarah Vaughan as her role models. The flamboyant vocalist also adopted the characteristic beehive hairstyle and thick eyeliner of the 1970s fashion trend. However, her enormous success was accompanied by a growing stage fright and a fear of playing for big crowds.
Maybe in an attempt to make up for it, she started going to bars and clubs after concerts and drank herself away from the burden of having to perform.
A terrible conclusion
Amy found herself drawn to Blake Fielder-Civil once more, eighteen months after their painful breakup. The two had a difficult marriage that ended in divorce in 2009, after only around two years of marriage.
At the same time, Winehouse’s career stagnated. Her voice, which had once been strong, sounded hollow and weak, and she frequently swayed drunkenly on stage. The crowd jeered her. For “health reasons,” her management canceled entire tours and halted concerts.
However, it was well known that Amy Winehouse struggled with drugs and alcohol. Amy’s health was failing due to the excesses and sadness. Not only did her physical appearance alter, but her performances at events and concerts also declined.
Her bodyguard discovered her lifeless in her London residence on July 23, 2011. The poisoning was the cause of death.